Your choice of lipstick shades decides whether you are stepping out as a coy girl-next door vibe or bold, glamorous, taking the city by the storm aura. While lipsticks may be a last step in your makeup routine, it is the most important product that adds cohesiveness and colour to your makeup look. Whether you opt for classic lipstick shades or embrace the latest trends, lipstick is a makeup essential that can transform your appearance with just a swipe. In this article, we will talk about how to find your signature shade that complements your skin tone and makeup preferences to enhance your natural beauty.
Find Your Signature Shade: Lipstick Hues to Enhance Your Natural Beauty: The Basics
Lipstick draws attention to your lips, which are one of the most expressive features of your face. A well-chosen lipstick shade can make your lips appear more defined, plump and attractive. They convey mood and emotions. Bright and bold shades can make you appear confident and energetic, while soft and muted shades can evoke a sense of calm and elegance.
Different lipstick shades can create the illusion of fuller or smaller lips. Light lipstick shades can make your lips appear larger, while dark lipstick shades give a more defined and contoured look. A choice of lipstick shade can also be an extension of your identity. Whether you prefer nude lipstick shades or classic red lipstick shades, the right lipstick shade can reflect your personal style and enhance your self-expression.
Understanding Undertones: Your Guide to Flattering Shades
Lipstick shades that complement your undertones can enhance your skin’s natural radiance and bring out your best features. There are three types of undertones – warm, cool and neutral.
1) Warm Undertones: If your veins appear greener, you likely have a warm undertone. Also, if gold jewellery complements your skin more, you probably have warm undertones.
Lipstick Shades for Warm Undertones: Lipstick shades like warm nudes, earthy reds, golden brown and warm pinks suit people with warm undertones.
2) Cool Undertones: If your veins appear bluish or purplish on your wrist, you likely have a cool undertone. Also, silver jewellery tends to flatter those with cool undertones.
Lipstick Shade for Cool Undertones: Lipstick shades like cranberry and raspberry reds, cool-toned pink hues like magenta and bubble gum pinks, berry tones like plum and mauve and cool nudes like muted rose or dusty pink shades are most likely to suit people with cool undertones.
3) Neutral Undertones: If you can’t clear discern the colour of your veins or they appear to be a mix of blue and green, you might have a neutral undertone. Both silver and gold jewellery may suit you well.
Lipstick Shades for Neutral Undertones: You have the flexibility to wear a wide range of lipstick shades if you have a neutral undertone. Peachy shades, coral lipsticks and muted mauves often have a blend of both warm and cool elements.
Wearing lipstick shades that are too light or too dark for your undertones can make you look washed out or overly dramatic. The right shade can add warmth and dimension to your face without overpowering your features.
Classic Reds: Timeless Elegance and Boldness
A classic red lipstick never goes out of style. Even with minimal makeup, applying red lipstick can elevate your entire look, making you feel glamorous and polished. Best red shades for different undertones are:
1) Warm Undertones: Shades like warm brick red, coral-infused red, tomato red is ideal for warm undertones. We recommend using shade ‘brick blush’ from Lakme 9To5 Primer + Matte Lip Colour. This lipstick comes with a built-in primer that sets a flawless matte base and evens out your lips.
2) Cool Undertones: Look for blue-based red, berry red or deep cranberry for cool undertones. Use shade ‘sour cherry’ from Lakme Absolute Matte Melt Liquid Lip Colour. Infused with rosehip oil, this liquid lipstick not only gives you intense matte colour for 16 hours, but also leaves them soft and moisturised for a longer period of time.
3) Neutral Undertones: Choose a universal red shade or a true neutral red for neutral undertones. Choose ‘envious red’ from Lakme Absolute Matte Revolution Lip Colour. Infused with raspberry seed oil known for its deeply nourishing and soothing properties, this lipstick is designed to be long wear. The creamy light formula glides on without dragging.
Natural Nudes: Subtle Sophistication and Versatility
Nude lipsticks pair well with a wide range of makeup looks. They can complement both bold and neutral eye makeup, making them a versatile choice for various occasions. Best nude shades for different undertones are:
1) Warm Undertones: Choose nudes with warm peachy undertones, warm beige shades or caramel nudes. We suggest using ‘peach pinch’ from Lakme Absolute 3D Lipstick. This lipstick is matte with a hint of shine, for glamorous lips with added dimension.
2) Cool Undertones: Choose rosy nudes, mauve nudes or cool-toned beige for cool undertones. We recommend shade ‘tropical princess’ from the new Lakme 9To5 Matte to Glass Liquid Lip collection. This lipstick duo contains matte lipstick on one side and gloss on the other. This transfer-proof, intense matte lipstick is enriched with vitamin E and HA known to moisturise lips and improving the dryness on the lips.
3) Neutral Undertones: Choose true nudes, soft rose or universal neutrals for neutral undertones. Use the shade ‘blushing nude’ from Lakme 9To5 Primer + Matte Lip Colour.
FAQs about Lipstick Shades to Enhance Your Natural Beauty
Q1. What are the different types of lipstick finishes?
A. Lipsticks comes in various finishes, including matte, satin, glossy, sheer, metallic and creamy.
Q2. How can you prevent my lipstick from smudging or transferring?
A. To prevent smudging or transferring, use a lip liner to define the lips and create a barrier. Choose long-wearing or transfer-resistant formulas. Blot the excess product with a tissue.
Q3. How often should I replace my lipstick?
A. Lipsticks generally have a shelf life of about one to two years. However, if the lipstick changes in smell, texture or appearance, it’s a sign that it’s time to replace it.
The right lipstick can accentuate your features, boost your self-esteem and add an extra touch of oomph to your over appearance. Experimenting with different shades and finishes can help you discover which colours best enhance your unique features, allowing you to showcase your natural beauty.