Growing up in an Indian household, you may have heard about the benefits of mustard oil. Sarson ka tel, as it is most commonly known in India is a huge part of cooking in some parts of the country. Although the pungent odor is disliked by a lot of people, you should know that this oil offers a wide range of health benefits. It boosts immunity, helps in keeping cold and flu at bay, nourishes the skin and encourages hair growth. That’s right, using mustard oil for the hair can give you long and healthy tresses.
Did you know?
- Due to its pungent odour, mustard oil is used as an insect repellent in sprays to keep mosquitoes and ants away.
- Mustard oil is warm in nature and is therefore widely used in Ayurveda to treat cold and cough.
- It works as an excellent hair tonic due to the presence of linoleic and oleic acids.
- Some studies suggest that mustard oil can decrease the risk of cardiovascular diseases by up to 70%.
- A mixture of salt and mustard oil was traditionally used for gum massage.
- 1. Benefits of using mustard oil for the hair
- i) Acts as a natural conditioner
- ii) Nourishes hair
- iii) Promotes hair growth
- iv) Prevents dandruff
- v) Keeps scalp infections at bay
- 2. How to use mustard oil for hair growth
- i) Mustard oil and yogurt hair pack
- ii) Mustard oil and aloe vera hair pack
- iii) Mustard oil and lemon juice hair pack
- iv) Mustard oil and banana hair pack
- 3. Precautions to take while using mustard oil for hair
- 4. Frequently asked questions about mustard oil for hair
1. Benefits of using mustard oil for the hair
Protein and omega 3 fatty acids are a major hair component and mustard oil contains both in abundance. Due to the presence of these two components, this oil can protect your scalp and hair from some of the most common hair concerns, scroll down to learn the benefits of mustard oil for hair. But before moving on to that here are a few precautions you need to take.
i) Acts as a natural conditioner
Is your hair dry, damaged and lifeless? Replace your current oil with mustard oil for hair massages and nurse those tresses back to life. Mustard oil contains alpha fatty acids that lock the moisture in your hair and make it appear happy and bouncy. It works as a natural conditioner to hydrate hair from root to tip and adds a healthy shine. If your hair is damaged due to regular heat styling, this oil will help solve the issue.
ii) Nourishes hair
Hair fall and hair thinning is a common problem amongst both men and women these days. While there could be many reasons behind this problem like environmental aggressors, stress, lack of hair care and more, mustard oil can easily address this problem. All your hair needs is some deep nourishment, and a mustard oil hair massage will treat your hair follicles and strengthen your hair from the roots, thereby reducing hair fall and thinning.
iii) Promotes hair growth
Feels like your hair growth has become stagnant? You are not imagining things, this is quite possible! We lose about 100 strands of hair a day on an average but its not worrisome as long as they are getting replaced by new strands. When the replacement does not occur due to stress or some other reason, your hair starts appearing thin. Since it is a great source of iron, magnesium, calcium, antioxidants and vitamins A, D, E and K, using mustard oil for hair can be very beneficial in encouraging hair growth by promoting blood circulation in the scalp.
iv) Prevents dandruff
Dandruff can be quite an embarrassing hair problem, caused by an excessively dry scalp, it can also cause itching and irritation. Another benefit of using mustard oil for hair is that it can address the problem of dandruff. Mustard oil is rich in antioxidants and is antibacterial in nature and regular use of this oil can clean the scalp and help get rid of dandruff. Simply massage the oil into the scalp and let it do its job. Allow it to stay for a few hours or overnight and wash it off with a mild shampoo.
v) Keeps scalp infections at bay
Scalp infections are quite common during the monsoons. The constant moisture and humidity, natural oils in your scalp and product build-up can invite many scalp problems. This can also hamper hair growth by blocking hair follicles. However, regular use of mustard oil on the hair can eradicate fungus and prevent scalp infections.
2. How to use mustard oil for hair growth
Here are the amazing hair packs that will improve hair quality and promote hair growth:
i) Mustard oil and yogurt hair pack
In a bowl, add mustard oil and yogurt, mix well, then apply the mixture evenly on the scalp. Soak a towel in hot water, wring out the excess water and wrap it around your head. Let the steam work on your hair for about 30-40 minutes then wash it off with a mild shampoo. Your hair will look shiny and smooth once dried.
Pro tip: Use this pack twice a week for a month.
ii) Mustard oil and aloe vera hair pack
Aloe vera has superior nourishing and calming properties and using a combination of aloe vera and mustard oil for the hair will work wonders for your tresses. In a bowl, add pure aloe vera gel, then add some mustard oil into it. Mix well and apply it on the scalp and hair evenly. Let it stay for at least an hour before washing it with your regular shampoo and conditioner. This repairs damaged hair as well as prevents it from future damage.
Pro tip: Repeat this twice a week to get best results.
iii) Mustard oil and lemon juice hair pack
Lemon juice has deep cleansing properties and keeps scalp infections at bay. Add mustard oil, lemon juice and fenugreek powder in equal quantities in a bowl and apply on the hair. Let it stay on your hair for about an hour then wash it off. This hair pack is best for those with sensitive scalps.
Pro tip: Use it once a week for best results.
iv) Mustard oil and banana hair pack
Ripe bananas have excellent nourishing properties and mixing it with mustard oil will repair seriously damaged hair. In a bowl, take a ripe banana and add mustard oil to it, you can also add some yogurt to it to get the right consistency. Apply on your scalp and wash it off after some time.
Pro tip: Use twice a week and avoid using a hair dryer for best results, just air dry your hair.
3. Precautions to take while using mustard oil for hair
- Wash your hair before stepping oil as the oil can attract a lot of dust and dirt.
- Avoid using the oil daily, thrice a week is enough to get all the benefits.
- Use the right amount of oil, if you have damaged and dry hair you will require 4-5 spoons of oil, whereas if your hair type is normal or fine use not more than 2 spoons.
4. Frequently asked questions about mustard oil for hair
1) How often should I use mustard oil on my hair?
A. If your hair is too dry, you can use mustard oil twice or thrice a week. However, if your hair or scalp is on the oilier side, use it only once a week. For short hair, apply about three to four teaspoons and for long hair, you will need six to seven teaspoons.
2) Which oil is better for hair, mustard or coconut oil?
A. Coconut oil is lighter than mustard oil, and it may work on normal hair. But seriously damaged hair can benefit from mustard oil.